The Superstitious Simpsons

Kaitlyn Wildoner, Staff Writer

It has been proven time and time again that The Simpsons show has predicted many real-world events. Some believe it is a hoax, and others trust the Simpsons the future of their country. After this, if you are one of those people who does not believe in the superstitious predictions, you might change your opinion. 

In 2012, The Simpsons aired an episode called, “Lisa Goes Gaga,” where famous pop star, Lady Gaga, visits Springfield and performs her songs while also flying over the audience members. She also played piano at her performance, which is the most crucial piece of this episode. In 2017, Lady Gaga performed at the Superbowl halftime show where she was lifted above the audience and played “Million Reasons” on piano at one point. If this doesn’t make you believe it, here’s one that is even more specific.

In an episode titled, “Bart to the Future,” Bart Simpson is shown his future. The leader of the country was Lisa Simpson, and she was busy trying to fix the economy from the post-president, Donald Trump. Not only was it spot on with the 2016 presidential election, but there was a scene in that episode of Trump descending down an escalator with hundreds of people watching him with signs saying “Vote!” In 2015, Donald Trump was going down an escalator after announcing his running for president. A crowd was above him, just like in The Simpsons. 

“Deep Space Homer,” was an episode released in 1994, which had the plotline of NASA wanting to send a very average person into space in order to increase people’s interest in space exploration and NASA’s ratings for shuttle launches. They select Homer Simpson to participate in the event, who is a very “average joe.” In 2013, the UK had a contest for ordinary people to go to space through their program. There were several interviews and testing for this event, and the winner was Oliver Knight, a 25-year-old man who was among 23 other very normal average candidates.

MCHS sophomore, Emma Howard, is not buying these superstitions. “I don’t think it’s real because it’s just a cartoon and they have no way of predicting the future.” She makes a very good point, but you can’t deny that there is 100% something strange going on within The Simpsons Universe.