Surviving High School 101

Surviving High School 101

Whitney Herring, Messenger Reporter

September 2016

Surviving high school is difficult for students all across the nation. Transitioning each year can cause major stress, especially for freshmen coming into high school. Making it to graduation may seem challenging but it isn’t as hard as it seems. Here are 10 tips to help you make it through the next 4 years of your life:

1: Don’t skip class: Not coming to class leads to falling behind. This results in failing a class. Once you fall behind, it’s hard to catch up, especially if you have 5 other classes that you are behind in. The only time you should miss class is during a family emergency or if you get sick. Skipping isn’t going to get you anywhere in life. Once you get older you can’t skip work or skip on being a parent just because “you don’t want to come,” or “don’t want to do something.” High school is a great time to start fresh and never miss a day.

2: Go to school social events: Going to sporting activities, dances, and club meetings is a great way to make new friends. Once you make new friends, you will find where you fit in, and which social events you like. You don’t want to be the one student that never went to a football game because it wasn’t your “scene.” High school only lasts for 4 years so go to as many games, dances, and school activities as you can. I promise if you don’t, you’ll regret it.

3: Don’t let relationships consume your life: High school relationships are not as important as everyone makes them out to be. This time during your life is for education, not for finding “the one,” you have the rest of your life for that. If you are in a relationship then make sure you set aside times for studying and schoolwork. There are times for relationships and there are times for school. School is more important. Don’t let a high school relationship ruin your education. Schoolwork comes first.

4: Don’t get into trouble: High school is not the time to get into trouble because it can affect your college application process. If you get into trouble, your school may have the ability to suspend or even expel you, which won’t look good on a high school transcript. Once something like that is put on your record, you can’t get it off. If you stay out of trouble, high school will be a lot easier.

5: Find one friend in each class: Starting school means new classes and new classmates. The thought of this scares many teens. On the first day, make a friend. This will help with nerves and make the class go by faster. Without a friend in your class, you may feel excluded and lonely. Finding a friend to stick with you throughout the year will make class worth going to.

6: Don’t be afraid to ask for help: Asking for help isn’t a bad idea. If you are struggling in a class, don’t be afraid to ask your teacher for help outside of class time. Teachers are here for you. They are here to teach, and to answer all your questions- it’s their job! Besides,  If you don’t ask, then you may fall behind or even fail a test. Asking questions won’t make you look bad, it will make a good impression.

7: Stay true to yourself: Peer pressure is everywhere in high school and it’s not always a good thing. Staying true to yourself is a major key to success in school and in the real world. It takes bravery to be who you are and not follow the crowd. Being you is better than being anyone else.

8: Stay organized: Stay on top of your assignments, quizzes, tests, and projects. Keeping a planner is a good way to ensure your organization. Organizing your backpack by class will also help keep track of any papers you might need. Organization is a skill that is useful in everyday life.

9: Dress to impress: This isn’t to impress other people, it’s to impress yourself. Taking care of yourself boosts confidence and your level of performance throughout the day. If you feel good, you’ll do good, even if feeling good means sweatpants every now and then.
10: Have fun: Having fun is the most important tip on surviving high school. 4 years will come and go, you don’t want to regret not having a good time. Schoolwork is important but it is also important to live in the moment and make the best out of everything. High school is said to be “the best and worst times of your life,” you’ll have some bad days and you’ll have some good days but through all of that make sure you are having fun.