Football is Officially Back

Reese Guill, Messenger Reporter

September means new beginnings and to our region that means the beginning of football for all levels,  but most of all, it means the start of college football.  This means a new batch of games and players, putting their hearts into each play, competing for the highly coveted NFL contract. Alabama is the preseason #1 coming off of their national championship last year. Alabama has a new starting quarterback this year, resembling the past four years since A.J. McCarron left to go to the NFL. Alabama opens the season against #20 USC in what should a classic game. Though Kentucky die-hard fans tend to focus on basketball completely, I strongly suggest that you pay attention this year to Kentucky football, because the prospects seem promising. Two McCracken County High School alumni are on the team now which is a reason to watch in itself. Those two players are Wells Purdom and Zyaire Hughes, who will be redshirting this year so he will have time to better prepare himself. As far as other teams in the league go, it seems the surprise of college football this year will be Tennessee. Tennessee is ranked #9 in the preseason rankings this year. No matter how much I hate to say it, it’s probably true; Tennessee football has a legit chance of making it to the college football playoff, and maybe even the national championship game. Another team who was very impressive was Louisville, making a good first impression in their first game of the season, with a whopping 8 touchdowns by their quarterback. As we watch our teams compete, let’s remember there is no season like college football season.