Lady Mustang Softball

Whitney Herring, Messenger Reporter

February 2017

When McCracken County High School opened, no one thought we would ever be as successful as we have been. Many sports teams have competed in state competitions, one that has competed and won one year is the McCracken County High School softball team. In the three years that the softball team has made it to state, they have been the state champions once and the state runners-up twice. McCracken County softball is a big deal, they just don’t get enough credit.

In 2014, the Lady Mustangs battled against Scott County in the championship game in Owensboro, Kentucky. They came up short, losing 7-6, labeling them as the state runners-up. In 2015, the Lady Mustangs traveled back to Owensboro to get the state title that they deserved, this year they played Louisville Male in the championship game. The Lady Mustangs came out as the champions, beating Male 2-1 in 8 innings. At the latest state tournament, the Lady Mustangs got state runner-up, losing to Scott County…again. This time they lost 9-7. This year is hopefully the year they bring another state title to McCracken County. The McCracken County softball team is a force to be reckoned with.

Taylor Poindexter, a senior, has played on the team since she was a freshman. With this being her last year playing, she’s ¨excited to finish this year with hopefully another championship ring.¨ Poindexter was also on the team when they won the state title in 2015, she said ¨it was a good feeling knowing all of our hard work and practices paid off,¨ she also said that winning the state title ¨gave us a feeling of something we want for the next few years.¨ Coming to this school, merging sports teams was a big deal that many citizens in the community and staff thought was going to be a big challenge, with that being said, Poindexter said the best part of being on the team was ¨all of the friendships I’ve made over the years,¨ the teams merged and became one quicker than everyone thought.
The McCracken County Lady Mustangs are ring chasing this season. Hopefully, 2017 will be the year that the softball team will bring home another trophy for McCracken County High School.