AP Testing Tips

AP Testing Tips

Whitney Herring, Messenger Reporter

March 2017

It’s March which means AP testing is getting closer and closer. We are at the time in the year where finals and AP tests are right around the corner. At this point, teachers have a little longer than a month to prepare you for the dreaded AP tests that many of you will be taking. Here are some tips to help you survive AP testing:

1. Study: This time of the year is very distracting, with the warm weather and the end of the year, but you can’t blow off studying for this. Studying a little bit every day will help you prepare for the test. You need to actually study, not just sit there and stare at your study material thinking it will all just jump into your brain, you are going to have to actually put in effort.
  2. Don’t Cram The Night Before The Test: There is a reason that you learn the AP material over the course of a year. You won’t be able to learn/memorize all the material if you try to learn it all the night before. Take weeks to study, not just one night.
  3. Ask For Help: Don’t try and do this all by yourself. If you need help, ask. Ask your teachers. Ask your friends taking the same exam. Use your resources, it will only benefit you in the end.
  4. Don’t Fall Behind In Other Classes: During this stressful time, you still need to stay on top of your assignments in other classes. Falling behind in your other classes will only stress you out even more and will most likely cause a mid-semester breakdown, which is actually more common than you may think. Keep up with your assignments in your other classes, it will only benefit you.
  5. Breathe: This may sound dumb but sometimes you just have to take a step back and breathe. You have to take the time to breathe, relax, and forget about the test for long enough to calm down. Just calm down and start studying again later.  

AP testing is never easy, especially when you’re taking more than one. The test that will challenge you and hopefully get you credits to a college course. Following these tips will help get ready for the test and hopefully take away some of the stress. AP testing will be here before you know it, study, learn and prepare for those tests.