Softball Seniors – Where Are They Going?

Whitney Herring, Messenger Reporter

April 2017

This softball season will be bittersweet for the 4 seniors of the McCracken County Lady Mustangs. This season will be the last time that these 4 girls take the field together. For some of them, they will choose to continue their athletic career, but for others, this is where it ends. This year, their cleats will hit the field for the last time.

With this year quickly coming to an end, the 4 seniors had a tough choice to make. They had to decide if they wanted to pursue their athletic career in college, or if this is where they wanted it to end. 2 of the 4 have decided to continue their athletic and academic career, and the other 2 have decided to continue just their academic careers.

The 2 seniors that will be continuing to play softball are Kalli Harris and Taylor Poindexter. The 2 seniors that have decided to just continue their academic career are Karlie Hatton and Hannah Jones. These 4 players have been involved in great things while on this team. They have been state runner-ups twice and even brought home a state championship in 2015, which was only the McCracken County Lady Mustangs second visit to the state tournament.

Kalli Harris has chosen to continue her academic and athletic career at Lindsey Wilson College in Columbia, Kentucky. Harris will be majoring in neonatal nursing while playing college level softball. Taylor Poindexter has also chosen to continue her academic and athletic career Bellarmine University in Louisville, Kentucky. Poindexter will be majoring in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology on the pre-med track and monotony in Spanish while playing softball at a college level. Karlie Hatton has chosen to continue her academic career at West Kentucky Community and Technical College. Hatton wants to become a registered nurse and has made her decision to not play college level softball. Hannah Jones has also chosen to continue her academic career at Murray State University. Jones is planning to major in Health and Safety Engineering (OSH), she has also made her decision to not play college level softball.
These 4 seniors have had a great career here at McCracken County High School. They have the ability to go out and be the best that they can be whether that be through their academics or through their athletic careers This season will be the last time they play with the Mustangs logo across their chest.