Teacher Spotlight: Stephanie Carter

Tristan Cates, Messenger Reporter

February’s teacher spotlight highlights the one and only Stephanie Carter. Mrs. Carter teaches Honors English and AP Seminar in upstairs house 4. She is a McCracken County High School legend because of her dedication to perfection and commitment to impeccable style. Beyond just her own abilities, Carter uses her expertise to enhance her students’ perception of their personal talents and the world around them. She has been teaching for over 22 years and began her journey into education during her time at Murray State University. She was given the opportunity to tutor promising first-generation college students. Carter realized that these students’ potential was going to waste because “they weren’t informed about the resources available to them.” Because of the often misuse of this potential, Carter was moved to help individuals- like the ones she had already encountered -and train them to utilize their academic gifts. Read below to find out more about the wonderful Stephanie Carter!

Did you have any jobs before teaching?

I’ve always worked beginning in high school when I worked in an insurance office as part of an employment program for low-income families.  Throughout college, I was employed on campus through the Student Work program, but I haven’t had a “career” other than teaching.

Favorite Movie?

Forrest Gump

Favorite Book?

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Favorite fictional character?

Elphaba from Wicked

Who or what inspires you?

Young people inspire me!  My students inspire me to be a better teacher.  My own children inspire me to be a better version of myself.

Why did you choose your teaching concentration?

I chose English because I think effective communication is the key to success in any field and because I believe good storytelling transcends time, place, and circumstance.

Where did you go to high school?

Crittenden County

What is your favorite thing about teaching at MCHS?

The students, even the hard-to-love ones, are my favorite thing about teaching here.  In high school, I was difficult and distant and sometimes defiant, but Mr. Harold Grace refused to lower his expectations for me and eventually I started to see myself through his eyes.  Now I try to see MCHS students through Mr. Grace’s eyes.

What is one thing that you wish your students knew about high school?

Too often, students are told, “high school is the best time of your life” when that simply doesn’t hold true for everyone.  I wish students knew not to put too much stock in any one moment (even if that moment seems to last 4 years ;-).  For better or for worse, “this too shall pass.” In the meantime, “stay close to people who feel like sunshine.”