Teacher Spotlight: Forney-Hantle

Tristan Cates, Messenger Reporter

March’s teacher spotlight focuses on Mrs. Judith Forney-Hantle. She has been in the field for 34 years and began her career after being guided by several motivational individuals in her life, including her uncle and several others in the education field during her time as a student. Her expertise and experiences in teaching are often expressed through her countless stories and anecdotes. Not a day goes by without you feeling as if you have learned a new life lesson because of Mrs. Forney-Hantle’s insightful and caring nature. House 4 wouldn’t be the same if it weren’t for the spirit that she resonates each and every day and for that she is our teacher spotlight recipient. To read more about Mrs. Forney-Hantle’s interests and thoughts check out the interview below!

Did you have any jobs before teaching?

I worked at a local ice cream store called Lloyd’s Ice Cream that is now Lic’s Ice Cream.  I worked retail and sold shoes throughout college. I taught exercise classes and was an assistant manager at a women’s spa.

Favorite Movie?

The Sons of Katie Elder

Favorite Book?

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Who or what inspires you?

The beauty and power of God’s creation.  There is so much to see, do, learn, and love in the world and it is our role to make the world in which we live better today and for the future.

Why did you choose your teaching concentration?

I enjoy the story of how we got to the present and what the past can teach us about other people and times.  People have changed lives through their actions.

Where did you go to high school?

William Henry Harrison High School Evansville, IN

What is your favorite thing about teaching at MCHS?

The students and my colleagues.  MCHS has provided a larger number of both.

What is one thing that you wish your students knew about high school?

Many of the things you learn in high school will not seem relevant until much later in life and all the things that make you feel small or unhappy won’t matter much in the future.  It is four years that shape the next journey but to quote Dr. Seuss “Oh the Places You Go” will endure longer than these 4 short years.