Teacher Spotlight: Lisa Skipworth

Tristan Cates, Messenger Reporter

Our second to the last edition is bringing a spotlight onto the angel of House 1, Mrs. Lisa Skipworth. Mrs. Skipworth has been teaching for 26 years now and has devoted her time to teaching Algebra 1, 2, and Dual Credit College Algebra. Before she got into teaching she was a certified aerobics instructor for 10 years and during her career, she has taught a variety of students including pre-school, middle school, high school, and college. She discovered her longtime love for teaching in the first grade, “ I thought it would be fun to write on a chalkboard whenever I wished and grade papers with a red pen!  Needless to say, my dreams have been fulfilled!” Mrs. Skipworth is one of the sweetest individuals to work with and learn from, read more about her wonderful personality and experiences below!

Favorite Movie?

An Officer and a Gentleman and The Blind Side

Favorite Book?

Charlotte’s Web and Animal Farm

Favorite fictional character:

Nancy Drew – I always wanted to be a crime-solving detective and have a great boyfriend like Ned Nickerson.

Who or what inspires you?

Students are faced with more challenges today than when I was a teen. I am inspired by many caring and talented students who overcome adversity with perseverance.  A great work ethic will take you further in life than a high IQ.

Why did you choose your teaching concentration?

First, I chose to teach math and chemistry because they are fun subjects!  Secondly, when I was in college, I found many math and science teachers were not very “warm and approachable”, and I decided the profession could use teachers who genuinely cared.

Where did you go to high school?

I attended Lake Highlands High School in Dallas Texas.  I graduated in 1975 in a class of 735. A bit of trivia – Chris Harrison, host of the Bachelor/Bachelorette graduated from my high school!

What is your favorite thing about teaching at MCHS?

That’s easy – the students, staff, and central air-conditioning!!

What is one thing that you wish your students knew about high school?

I want students to realize what a “buffet of choice” our high school offers.  Keep focused on your dreams and do not shut the doors of opportunity that can be very difficult to open later in life.  I often hear adults say their biggest regret was not completing their education.