The Skinny on Skin Types

Jaiden Herzog, Staff Writer

Oily Skin
People come in all different shapes, sizes, and types of skin. Some have normal skin, some dry or flaky, and others have combination skin. However, one of the most taxing to have is oily skin. Several students and teachers alike struggle with oily skin on their face. Here are some foolproof ways to help your oily skin.

1. Don’t pop your pimples!
Never pop pimples. This can cause scarring of the face, irritation, and the spread of bacteria. The act of pressing down on the pimple can actually push the bacteria and push further into the pores. Patience is key. When you can see the white pus at the top of your pimple, that’s the time to put on a pimple patch. Just don’t pop it; It’s one of the worst things you can do to your skin. “I used to pop my pimples, and, now, I have acne scars. I regret it so much. 0/10. Don’t recommend,” remarked Willow Burkehold, a sophomore with an oily skin type.

2. Don’t touch your face.
I know it’s tempting to touch your face when you’re having a breakout or even just feeling oily. However, the fingertips and hands in general are covered in natural oils and sometimes sweat. The transmission of these dirts and oils only worsens the state of your skin and clogs pores further, leading to breakouts. All skin types should refrain from touching their face, but it is especially important for oily skin types. It’s fighting fire with fire, oil with oil.

3. Double-cleanse
Wash your face in the morning when you wake up and before you go to bed at night. In the morning, the oil and dirt from the night before is trapped in your pores, so it is extremely important to wash your face before starting your day. After the day is over, your face is also covered in oil and dirt and should be cleansed before bedtime. It’s recommended to use a moisturizer and/or facial serum 1-2 hours before going to bed.

4. Exfoliate 2-3 a week.
Throughout the week, natural oils clog pores and can lead to breakouts. It is vital for people with oily skin to exfoliate gently and with the proper cleanser 2-3 times every week. Face masks also help, but be sure to use gentle ones that are made for oily skin specifically. “You have to do your research and find what works the best and what works the best for you individually,” stated Erika Hibner, an adult woman who previously struggled with teen acne and oily skin.

5. Moisturize.
Many people with oily skin types may be reluctant to put facial lotion on their skin; they believe this will worsen the skin’s condition. However, it’s the opposite. Oily skin is oily because it is trying to hydrate itself. Hydration = less oil production. Provide your face with sufficient moisture, especially during the night. Gel or lotion type moisturizers are recommended for this skin type. The best and most well-known skincare brands include CeraVe, TheOrdinary, La Roche Posay, Glossier, and Proactive.
“I have really oily skin. I use the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser for normal to oily skin and the CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion/ Sunscreen,” says Eden Neighoff,” a Freshman at MCHS who battles oily skin.

6. Don’t overuse products.
Even if your skin type isn’t “sensitive,” it is still taxing on the skin to overuse several products at the same time. Be consistent. Don’t change your products every other day. Test out what is best for you, and stick with that. Acne control and skin health is a journey every person must take. The goal is to be as simple and effective as possible.

7. Buy a satin or silk pillowcase if possible.
Satin pillowcases don’t soak up skincare products like cotton pillowcases, producing better results. They prevent friction with both the face and the hair, leaving both unirritated and the hair less frizzy (more protected). Just like any other pillowcase, it is recommended to wash them every 1-2 weeks due to the natural oils that can get trapped in them at night. At the local Ulta Beauty store, the satin pillow cases are $19.99 and the average silk pillowcase costs about $25. This is not a necessary step if you are unable to afford or get a new pillowcase; it is just a recommendation.

8. Makeup
Never tug on your skin. It is rough on the skin’s protective barrier and can lead to stretching, looseness, and wrinkles. Having said that, water-based makeup removers are the safe option for oily skin. Products such as Micellar water paired with a clean makeup removing pad work to break down stubborn makeup and help to prevent clogged pores. Water gently rinses away the face’s natural oils, so gentle, water-based cleansers are essential for make-up wearers with oily skin.

9. Don’t Stress! Everyone has Acne.
Stress is one of the leading causes of acne, breakouts, and age lines. Bad grades? Pimples all over. Got finals coming up? Pimples all over. Fight with a friend? Pimples. All. Over. While it is easier said than done, try your best to calm yourself in the presence of life’s stressors.
The best methods of dealing with stress include:
Listening to music
Talking to friends
Drawing
Journaling
Reading
Meditating
Hanging out with pets and friends
Talking it out
Drinking green tea or water
Inhaling essential oils
Walking in nature
Getting sunlight
These are the most common and healthiest way to cope with the trials life presents. Try your best to destress, you’ve got this. “My room gets dirty pretty quickly. So, I clean my room while I watch tv to destress. Next time, I’m planning to watch a One Direction Documentary,” says Eden Neighoff once more.

10. Create a routine
The best results are seen long term. Everyone goes on their own journey of discovering what works best for them, and visiting a local dermatologist may help as well. MCHS student, Delaney Green, stated, “They’re very helpful because they give a one-on-one, face-to-face examination of your specific skin type. They know more than random TikTok accounts.” For oily skin types, it’s especially important to find your personal routine due to the complexity of the constantly reproducing oils. Once you find what’s made for you, consistency is crucial.