Senioritis

Is it Real or No?

Senioritis

Kynadee Slife, Staff Writer - The Mustang Messenger

As students reach their last year of high school, it can get increasingly difficult for them to find the will to participate in school. Jobs, homework, sports, and even attending school every day of the week may become insignificant. Personally, school work and attending school have become some of the hardest things to do for me. I’ve been accepted into multiple different colleges, and with that being said, trying to finish strong and participate in high school has become harder. Motivation plays a large role in surviving senior year. You need it to be able to get out of bed, get dressed, finish assignments, get to school, eat, and thoroughly enjoy yourself throughout the year all at once. You’re ready to graduate and move on to the next chapter of your life, while also trying to close one chapter. However, motivation is exactly what senioritis targets, that is why doing what used to be simple tasks becomes perplexing. I believe senioritis is real because throughout high school, even during Covid, I have never felt the urge to do nothing, more than during senior year. Senior year is supposed to be the “relaxed year” where you avoid large amounts of work, minus your core classes like math and English. 

Plenty of seniors will agree that their last year has been the hardest on them more than any other and that they too have experienced Senioritis. I have even asked a few about their experiences with Senioritis and their senior year in general. After interviewing Madison Newlon she said, “Yes I believe senioritis is real because as a senior we don’t realize how close adulthood is and whenever it hits us, it hits us like a train and we aren’t ready to move on. It can be hard, so we procrastinate and try to avoid it as much as possible.” However, Madison also says. “My experience hasn’t been as excessive as other cases, I just have procrastinated my work.” I also interviewed another student at McCracken named Kaylee Salin and she said, “Senioritis has hit me harder than most of my friends, I have missed plenty of school. When I feel this I have an immediate fear that my teachers will think I am trying to skip school just to skip, but I am just so unmotivated it is hard to get out of bed. That’s why I think senioritis is real and that it affects students.”