The Mustang Messenger

The Home of McCracken County High School Journalism

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

SENIOR PHOTO DEADLINE
ALL SENIORS PHOTOS DUE IN
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SENIOR PHOTOS
Pale pink round 3d background shape with gold frame and shiny glitter, vector illustration

Improving Homecoming

Dain+Lynn%2C+a+Tilghman+high+school+student%2C+++asking+to+leave+to+go+bowling.+
Dain Lynn, a Tilghman high school student, asking to leave to go bowling.

This past homecoming was disappointing, to say the least. Many students left the dance early because the dance was boring. By 10 p.m., more than half of the students had left, and gone home. 

The music was very unappealing to the students. The DJ played the basic songs including, the cha cha slide, wobble, whip, and nae nae. 

“I just feel like they play the same music and all everyone does is stand there because there isn’t anything to do,” says Junior, Kloee Latham. 

They didn’t play a lot of songs that students listen to now.

The good thing about homecoming is that students get the opportunity to get in sparkly dresses and get their makeup done. For as expensive as dresses, makeup, and hair can be, the dance should’ve been better so it wasn’t money wasted. 

The week following up to homecoming didn’t excite the dance. There wasn’t a theme to the dance. The themes for the week leading up to the dance included PJ Day, and Barbie themes, like Superlative Day, Decades Day, and Color War. Some of the themes were good like Barbie and Decades Day, but Superlative Day didn’t make a lot of sense to the students. If there was a   set theme, the week following the dance would have more structure and coordination. 

Many students agree that homecoming could’ve been held in a better space. One of the suggested spots was the gym. In the gym, students would have more area to dance in their groups and would not be on the cafeteria floor. Gym teachers would worry about the floors being ruined from shoes, but if there were protective flooring to put on the floor then it wouldn’t be an issue. There would also be a better opportunity for decorating. Stringing some lights on the railings wouldn’t be a huge job.

Administrators should use the outcome of the homecoming as a learning experience. They saw that students didn’t like the homecoming and as a result, they left. If there had to be extra help with making the dance better, MCHS would rise and help with funding and planning for a night of fun and entertainment.