Josh Grogan, Spirited and Spiritual

Lee Blackburn

Caroline Dew, Messenger Reporter, Columnist & Social Media Manager

“I kind of took that as a sign. My favorite bible verse is Isaiah 40:30-31, and it says that ‘They will soar on wings like eagles; they will not grow weary, they will not be faint,’” says Josh Grogan, a senior at McCracken County High School. “And when I was running with the team at Morehead State University on a college visit, an eagle started flying above us. The team there said they had never seen anything like it before, and like I said, I think that was God telling me that that was where I needed to be.”

If you go to McCracken County High School, you probably know who Josh Grogan is. You may recognize him from his long blonde hair (known to some as “The Flow”), his big white van, or his smiling face and enthusiastic attitude at every pep-rally. Josh is very involved here at McCracken, known for his role as one of the presidents of the Pep club. He truly embodies McCracken pride at every sporting event, often painting his body, painting his van, sporting McCracken gear, and leading the rest of the student section in motivating our athletes. “What can I say? I love McCracken. I get so hyped up and excited, being the president of the pep club is a great opportunity for me.”

For Josh, religion is very important to him. He is the president of Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). “We actually moved here because of FCA. My father is the director of FCA for Western Kentucky”. They meet on Friday mornings and listen to athletes testify about how God and sports can go hand and hand. FCA is also involved with athletics at McCracken, naturally, on occasion delivering fruit and drinks to the football and volleyball teams.

The Big White Van has become a symbol here at McCracken County High School. When asked about the Big White Van Josh responded, “We got the Big White Van because we have a pretty big family, and it was just easier to get a big van than to haul us all around in a minivan. When I got older I started driving it, and I got the idea that it would be fun to drive around a bunch of friends in it. One thing

lead to the next, and now The Big White van is a symbol for Pep Club, and even has an Instagram,” which you can find @thebigwhite_van.

Track and field and cross country are a crucial portion of Josh’s life as well. He loves running, he says. “A lot of people don’t understand it, you know, that I love running. But it’s just something that makes me happy. I tried every sport there was: soccer, baseball, even hockey. But I couldn’t find one that really suited me. One day, though, my younger sister invited me to her cross country practice, and I fell in love with the sport.” Josh’s love for running has also helped him with college. This fall he is going to Morehead State on a running scholarship.

Josh Grogan is truly the embodiment of what it means to be a Mustang. He doesn’t just have school spirit, he has pride in his school and the activities he’s involved in and radiates positivity. “An important lesson I learned in high school that I’ll take into adulthood is that character will take you farther in life than any test score or race will.”