The Mustang Messenger

The Home of McCracken County High School Journalism

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

SENIOR PHOTO DEADLINE
ALL SENIORS PHOTOS DUE IN
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SENIOR PHOTOS
Pale pink round 3d background shape with gold frame and shiny glitter, vector illustration

Hand-Held Presents or Experience Gifts- Which is Better?

When the holidays come around, are presents or experience gifts better to you? For birthdays and Christmases, many parents have switched over to giving their children experience gifts rather than hand-held presents- but which one is better?

After gathering much information from the students at McCracken County High School, it is shown that more people would rather have an experience gift than a wrapped-up present. 

Sophomore Maddie Yearry states, 

“You remember that (an experience) more as you would something you were gifted.” and many students agree with her. 

The extra money you would spend to go on a trip is definitely worth it, traveling to more places gives you more education about other cultures, more personality, more exciting things about yourself, and memories for a lifetime. 

Looking back, can you remember a present you received on your 9th birthday? Most likely, you can’t- but can you remember a trip you went on maybe to the beach or Disney World when you were younger? I think most people would answer yes.

If you could travel anywhere for a gift, where would you go? 

For my 16th birthday, I went to New York City and I will cherish those moments for a lifetime. I will never forget getting to spend a week with my mother and sister, exploring the city I’d been dreaming of since I was a child. 

Sophomore Ava Dodson said,

“Experience gifts are much better in my opinion because you know you won’t be gifted something you’ll never use or remember, and instead have the gift of an experience you’ll probably remember for the rest of your life.” 

Going on a trip one-on-one with someone for a gift is educational in many ways, and also therapeutic to take a break from reality and really focus on yourself and enjoying life at that moment.