The Mustang Messenger

The Home of McCracken County High School Journalism

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

SENIOR PHOTO DEADLINE
ALL SENIORS PHOTOS DUE IN
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SENIOR PHOTOS
Pale pink round 3d background shape with gold frame and shiny glitter, vector illustration

From the Horse’s Mouth: Roblox

The future of Our Education

Attention all Mustangs! Here at “From the Horse’s Mouth” Headquarters, we are here to bring you the most authentic, really unreal news across the school. Today’s news may have you feeling a bit…blocky.

A little birdy told us that McCracken will start educating its absent students over the hit digital game, Roblox. This is a never-done-before experience that may end up changing how we experience schooling for the better. We even had the opportunity to watch this form of assignment in action. An unnamed student performed a Drama I monologue over a Roblox stage. But why, exactly, is Roblox the game of choice? To find the answer to this question we had to investigate through drama teacher Mary Bowden says, “With teens these days…you need to get on their level and connect with them. In order to do that you have to meet them where they are. And where they are is Roblox.”

This is how a school day would look like for a student attending school via Roblox. Depending on their class (and the time), an absent McCracken student is required to log into school-designated Roblox accounts. Students will be rewarded with 50 robux upon arrival to their class. If one does not arrive upon expected arrival time, the school board is permitted to hack into their Roblox account and do as they wish with their information; Chats, friends lists, game progress, grades, etc. Wanting a student’s opinion, we asked Junior Willow Burkholder to see what she had to say about these roblox assessments, “Roblox helps me do better when I’m absent because it’s engaging and it improves my grades.” 

So, what do you think about Roblox education? Is this just another dumb virtual learning trial run? Or will this be the future?