McCracken Choir Performs at the Veteran’s Day Program

Kynadee Slife, Staff Writer - The Mustang Messenger

On Friday, November 11th, The McCracken County High School choirs and the band performed the National Anthem in the gym for the Veteran’s Day Program. To be able to perform this piece in the presence of the Veterans was an honor. As the classes and Veterans were entering, the band played a few patriotic pieces, and then once everyone has seated the choir and band began. Everyone rose and placed their hands on their hearts.  

Samantha Hunter, a choir student, at McCracken County High School was interviewed on her personal experience with performing. During the interview Hunter was asked, “Was there a specific piece of the Anthem that you were proud of?” and she responded with, “There is a part in this particular piece of music where you briefly pause and breathe before the lyrics “gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there” where we struggled, and then once the actual performance came we hit the pause correctly.” Hunter was also asked to describe how important it was for her, as a student, to perform the National Anthem for the Veterans. She said, “I thought it was a special moment because when I looked out into the audience everyone was clapping and cheering, and they were also smiling. I also think it meant a lot to them and their families to be honored.”