The Mustang Messenger

The Home of McCracken County High School Journalism

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

SENIOR PHOTO DEADLINE
ALL SENIORS PHOTOS DUE IN
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SENIOR PHOTOS
Pale pink round 3d background shape with gold frame and shiny glitter, vector illustration

Audrey Barrett’s Busy Life

Audrey Barrett is a sixteen-year-old musical sensation. She was born and raised in Paducah Kentucky and has a thirteen-year-old brother who she describes as “stinky” and a 7-year-old sister who is highly energetic.  She is a junior at Mccracken County High School. Barrett is a well-rounded student as she participates in Choir, The Governor’s School for the Arts, Student Government, and Main Attraction. She started in choir in Third grade with the Paducah Symphony Orchestra’s Children’s Chorus. When Barrett was in fourth or fifth grade the Children’s Chorus was selected to perform for KMEA for All-State Choir Which is the state competition for choir. She took a trip up to Louisville and performed in a “gorgeous cathedral.” 

“The details are fuzzy. All I really remember was that there was a lot of blue everywhere,” Barrett said. 

She advanced her singing ability over the years to where in her sophomore year she was able to try out for Governor’s School for the Arts.  She got into the three-week summer program. Governor’s School for the Arts allows talented high school students to experience hands-on activities such as dancing, acting, singing, instrumental band, architecture, creative writing, and visual arts.

During this three-week experience, students will be taught advanced techniques in their area of expertise. Some examples for a vocal student like Barrett would include vocal range, gaining confidence, and gaining experience in an artistic interest.

Barrett describes GSA as “the most amazing three weeks of my life.” She was in the very first  All-Treble Ensemble with the first new choir director in almost 35 years.

“We definitely made history,” says Barrett. “I found so many really amazing supportive people there. That just really helped me grow as a singer.” Barrett Highly recommends GSA to anyone willing to try out.

While in school Barrett enjoys her choir class and English classes. “Choir makes me feel awesome,” Barrett said.  “Humanities classes are awesome. I love being in that kind of environment.” 

Barrett enjoys reading in her free time. She enjoys reading anything from research papers to fiction books. Her favorite character is Jane Doe from Ride the Cyclone.

Her favorite teachers are any of her English teachers. Her favorite animals are cats, pandas, and koalas. Barrett owns a Large Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix named Jack. Her favorite season is winter because she was born during the winter. She likes plants but says “I’m not good at taking care of things but I do like plants.”

Her top three aesthetics are the ghost from a gothic horror novel, dark academia, and Southern Gothic.  After high school she wants to go to college to major in music and depending on the trajectory of the industry she either wants to become an opera singer or go to law school because “law schools like music majors.” 

Barrett is also in Student government. “Student Government is a leadership organization. We give incoming freshmen tours of the school, help with freshman orientation, homecoming, and spirit weeks, and at the end of the year, we help out with honors night and graduation. I actually spent 2023 graduation making sure visitors didn’t electrocute themselves on the wires behind the stage and being senior control by the stairs.”

She participates in the Main Attraction as well. Main Attraction is a pop acapella group. They rehearse on Tuesdays after school. Main Attraction Performs for events like Crimson Christmas, Spring Spotlight, and MCHS choir concerts.

Paducah Symphony Children and Youth’s Chorus is the only children’s choir to perform with a professional orchestra. It consists of two ensembles: The PSO Children’s Chorus (Grades 3-8) and The PSO Youth’s Chorus (grades 9-12). Members are chosen by audition under the direction of Dr. Bradley Almquist and Mrs. Samantha Veal. They perform at the PSO holiday concert,  winter concert, and spring concert. They also perform at various local meetings and events throughout the community 

The children’s chorus is invited to perform yearly at Paducah Symphony’s Christmas concert. “The rehearsals can be long and grueling, and sometimes, even frightening, considering we had a dress rehearsal the night of the Mayfield tornadoes and had to be dismissed early. The concerts always end up paying off, though. We always do two songs at the very end: Sleigh Ride and Handel’s Hallelujah. Since the orchestra had played Sleigh Ride so much, Maestro Ponti started walking around the stage while they played, giving people candy canes. He threw some at the choir, one of which I caught, put some on the drums, and even put one in a tuba! Those concerts have given me a grudge against Handel’s Hallelujah, though,” Barrett said.

Barrett has also performed Mozart’s Requiem as part of the youth chorus.

“One of the best performances of my life. The orchestra was amazing as always, and performing what is essentially an orchestral funeral mass made partly by a dying man felt almost otherworldly at times. Lacrimosa almost knocked me off my socks when we did it with the orchestra during the actual performance, and I wasn’t even in the audience,” said Barrett.

Barrett has had many experiences in life that many people her age would have taken for granted but she keeps taking every opportunity she gets to advance her vocal talent.  She enjoys singing many different styles of music and gaining more knowledge about choir.  She is a very quiet person until you ask her about something she likes. Barret is an excellent singer and will continue to improve her ability in the foreseeable future.