College Tips: Getting Ahead

College Tips: Getting Ahead

Tristan Cates, Messenger Reporter

Although the school year seems to have just begun many seniors are already beginning to feel the stress of college. Deciding on which school to go to after high school is a major life choice and the overwhelming stress seems to plague seniors the day they walk back into the building. Many believe there is no way to avoid this prolonged stress but this is starkly false because there are many ways to achieve a positive college application with minimal exhaustion. One way to begin your hunt for the perfect college is to look up their majors and financial age aid programs. If you are interested in going in state, Kentucky is one of many states that requires universities to list all of their scholarship opportunities on their website so you can easily access them. Another rule is that it is never too early to begin your application. Most schools’ application process begins with two forms, the Common Application and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA). The Common App. can be started online and is an extensive basis consisting of personal info as well as a look into your interests and achievements, it is also your gateway to requirements for your preferred colleges. FAFSA is how you file for financial aid and is filled out using your parent’s’ tax records and can seem very extravagant and intruding but it allows you to easily access scholarships you qualify for. The downside of these programs is that time matters, FAFSA can qualify you but the money pool is first come first serve so time is of the essence.  If you are set on one school you can always look up their Early Decision deadline. Early decision is designed specifically for students who dream of going to that university, it gives an earlier deadline than the normal application but it allows to college know that you are committed to them.