Opportunities at MCHS: Nurse Aid

Tristan Cates, Messenger Reporter

What is the Nurse Aide program?

The Nursing Assistant Program prepares a student to assume the role and responsibility that is required for a KY State Registered Nursing Assistant (SRNA) role within the state of Kentucky. This course meets the KY Medicaid training requirements. Students will gain the knowledge and essential skills needed to provide assistance to a nurse in providing basic care to clients in various healthcare settings, such as long term care facilities, hospitals, doctors offices etc.

What can a student expect to gain from this program?

The course consists of a minimum of 75 hours with a minimum of 16 hours of supervised practical training. Supervised practical training means training in a laboratory or other setting in which the trainee demonstrates knowledge while performing task on an individual under the direct supervision of a registered nurse.
The experienced instructors emphasize the role of nursing assistants, respecting patients’ rights, taking vital signs, observation and reporting, personal care and hygiene, communication skills, and death and dying to students during interactive classroom sessions.

How is this class different from other medical classes offered at MCHS?

Students can earn a Ky State Certified Nurse Assistant licensure that enables them to work in a Nursing Home, Medical office or hospital setting.

Are there any prerequisites for this class?

Preferably we like for the students to have Principles of Health Science and Med Terms before enrolling in the MNA class.

What types of work do your students do within this class? Projects? General topics covered?

The course consists of a minimum of 75 hours with a minimum of 16 hours of supervised practical training. Supervised practical training means training in a laboratory or other setting in which the trainee demonstrates knowledge while performing tasks on an individual under the direct supervision of a registered nurse. We will complete clinical in a nursing home working alongside their staff for the 16 plus clinical hours. In February my students will hold a Blood pressure clinic for staff and others who would like a BP check. Most of my students participate in our HOSA club with various community activities.

Is there anything else that you would like to say about this opportunity for students?

This is a great opportunity to get certified prior to the WKCTC nursing program. It is a requirement for that program and it is much cheaper than a college class. We have several who have graduated from MCHS and currently work as an SRNA while attending college. The pay rate is about $14 an hour.