The Mustang Messenger

The Home of McCracken County High School Journalism

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

SENIOR PHOTO DEADLINE
ALL SENIORS PHOTOS DUE IN
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SENIOR PHOTOS
Pale pink round 3d background shape with gold frame and shiny glitter, vector illustration

Grace Peoples, Life of a Mustang

Grace Peoples is a Sophomore at McCracken County High School who is entering her second year in the McCracken County school system after transferring to McCracken County High after spending middle school at St. Mary’s Catholic School. Paducah is the fourth city Grace has called home since being born in St. Louis, Missouri. For many people who move from household to household, the case is due to military service amongst the students’ parents but here’s what Grace’s reason has been. “My dad..just, he works on the barges and stuff, so it’s just kinda close to where he was.”  Before moving to Paducah, she lived in Pennsylvania and had lived in Kentucky before that. According to Ms. Peoples, one of her positive things about going to McCracken County is the fact that there are a lot of opportunities. Grace has enjoyed the school as a whole as well as what it offers to its students. “I like the amount of classes that we have and that there’s like more options than other schools.” She balances her school life with working full-time at Paducah Parks and Rec at Noble Park. She helped by acting as a camp counselor over the summer for kids with busy parental figures. She plans on staying in the bluegrass state of Kentucky to go to the University of Kentucky to either stay in the journalism field or nursing field.

Everyone has a teacher who stood out to them for better or for worse for each school they’ve been to. Grace mentioned that the most memorable teacher that she’s had so far was Mrs. Rathgeber and that she is the teacher that she will miss the most as of now. She’s enjoyed her time here at McCracken County High School a lot and hopes that her time here finishes as well as it’s gone for the first year and the second year so far. When asked about how she has liked going to McCracken County High School, here’s what Grace had to say.  “It’s been good! Umm, it’s nice, It’s fine.” She hopes to continue in the journalism field as she continues to pursue the pathway as a possible career in her future. Ms. Peoples has many things that she would like to happen as she finishes out her sophomore year at McCracken County. “I’ll probably just you know do school and try to find a new job, what to do during the school year.”

One of Grace’s interests is listening to music in which her favorite song is “Rosie” by Jackson Browne. Here’s what else she had to say when asked about her favorite bands. “I really like Fleetwood Mac, but I also like Sublime.” Here’s her response for her favorite songs by those bands. “My favorite songs are probably, I mean like everybody else, I like Silver Springs by Fleetwood Mac, but I also like As Long As You Follow by Fleetwood Mac and then What I Got by Sublime.  Other than music, Grace was able to tell me her favorite movie which is Love, Actually which is a 2003 movie that shows the many different ways of love using nine different stories that are loosely interrelated throughout the movie. Grace’s liking for the movie stems from the wholesomeness of the film. Another one of Grace’s interests is reading which is one of her major interests. Out of all the good books Grace has read over the years there is one book that stands superior which is her favorite book titled The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid which is a biography that inspired a Netflix series on Evelyn Hugo who was a Cuban actor that made her way to Hollywood and talks about the struggles she faced and how she did whatever it took to get to the top of her field.

Mostly everyone likes to go and enjoy their free time out of school with their friends in a stress free environment without the stress of test dates or upcoming assignments, Grace enjoys spending time outside of school with her friend Jack who she’s not only known since she was eleven but has lived in the same neighborhood as him since then. She also likes to spend time with her brother who she looks up to as her role model due to his compassion and how he treats everyone he meets with kindness and respect. Everyone needs a break from people at some point and to break away from everyone Grace has a self time hobby which is crocheting.

Grace looks forward to finishing out high School here at McCracken County and hopes that she’ll be able to enjoy her time in the future in Lexington at the University of Kentucky as much as she has at McCracken County High School here in Paducah and hopes to be lucky enough to have a journalism teacher as good as Mrs. Rathgeber or have a very intellectual professor in nursing to help her get far in her life after school and to be very successful in whatever field she chooses.