The Mustang Messenger

The Home of McCracken County High School Journalism

The Mustang Messenger

The Mustang Messenger

SENIOR PHOTO DEADLINE
ALL SENIORS PHOTOS DUE IN
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING SENIOR PHOTOS
Pale pink round 3d background shape with gold frame and shiny glitter, vector illustration

Plan Your New York City Trip Right

New York City, is an electrifying masterpiece, where every street corner buzzes with the rhythm of life. When planning to go for the first time, what are the must-see sights? With many more trips to come, my first visit was an incredible experience but also overwhelming; so this is the must-dos and don’t-dos for your first trip to the big city!

Starting with the basics, a four-day trip is definitely the minimum to get in most of the activities. Mrs. Brigette Thompson, the librarian at McCracken County High School, takes the senior class to New York and has been 25+ times. She says to any people traveling to NYC,

“I would definitely have an itinerary because it’s so big and there’s so much, I would plan your days to be in certain areas.”

She says to go to all the tourist attractions: Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Grand Central Station, Macy’s, and so much more. The Statue of Liberty however might not be worth the hype to everyone. To get near the Statue of Liberty, a fary is required and it’s not as big as people might expect. Seeing the Statue of Liberty is just part of the New York experience, however, if you’re low on time, you can definitely skip that without missing as much as you might something else.

One of the hardest parts when planning your itinerary is, where do you eat? Restaurants line the streets in New York, and there are SO many choices.

“you have to go to Ellens Stardust Diner if you like musicals, it’s not for the food but you have to eat there.”

Mrs. Thompson tells us. Another of her favorites is Johns Pizzeria in Times Square, LeVaines Bakery, and my personal favorite, Da Gennaro in Little Italy. Be prepared to eat your way through this beautiful city, it’s hard to resist all the incredible dishes and desserts, not including all the shops. I recommend staying at a hotel in Times Square, my favorite is the MSocial Hotel on 52nd Street. The first day you’re there, plan to eat at Ellens Stardust Diner which is right across the street, then explore Times Square! Fridays and Saturdays Times Square can be very packed, so I recommend doing this on a Sunday-Thursday as I did. Next, start the next morning early taking the subway to Brooklyn. Get a Subway card for the week!! It was very efficient having the same card all week and not having to buy a pass every morning. Work your way through Brooklyn, seeing the bridge and eating at the Bagel Pub for the best bagels; and eventually move to the Soho neighborhood, filled with cute photo ops and amazing food. For another day, I recommend starting off at Top Of The Rock-where you can look out at the city, and moving on to Magnolia Bakery with delicious cheesecake, go to the Museum of Modern Art, see the St. Paul Cathedral, and end your day with a broadway show. A four-day trip is the minimum, your days will be packed full with 25 thousand+ steps a day!

Getting to travel to New York was such a blessing-this once in this lifetime trip with my family was all I could’ve hoped for. New York is one of the most beautiful and fun places I’ve visited, definitely putting it on my bucket list to go back!